19 July 2007

The vest

The vest is knitting up well, but not sure if I got the sizing right - only time will tell. The pattern looks really nice with the multicoloured Jet wool. I was a little worried at first, but getting 20-30 rows in the colours really started to come together and look lovely. It's a simple rib variation (89 stitches front & back) in k & p stitches on a 4 row repeating pattern:

r1: k3, p1,*k2, p1 repeat from * to end
r2: p1, k1, *p2, k1 repeat from * to last 3 stitches, p3
r3: same as r1
r4: k all stitches

But I keep forgetting that on row 4 you knit all stitches until I get to the end and have to unpick the row (which is a bit tedious). Also, I'm going to try the short row technique to shape the bust which will also be a first and may require some effort and brain power. Need to knit up to 30cm in pattern first... won't take long on 5.5mm needles. I am using one of the Magnum Classics 12ply patterns as a base, but forgot to allow for the fact I was changing the stocking stitch to a mild rib - we'll see how it goes.

No comments: