14 January 2008

The next vest

Have started on the next vest. Yes instead of finishing projects already started.... I need to reduce the stash! Well, that's my excuse at any rate. Must not buy more wool until I've used more stash, must be strong despite sales at Spotlight.

Decided on a bobbly fringe for it for something bit different- the sugar drop pattern from Nicky Epstein's 'Knitting on the Edge'. It's basically triangles with 3 bobbles off each point. Once again the Cleckheaton Classics Macrokids vest pattern (size 10) was modified to fit a multiple of 13 stitches (so I had to do 17 triangles with 3 bobbles each). I'm using 4mm needles with a lovely deep purple Cleckheaton 8ply machine washable Crepe from the stash. I have 8 balls of it & hopefully that will be enough. The armbands & v-neck wil be done in moss stitch to match the edge of the sugar drop pattern.

The sugar drop edging did seem to take eons, but I'm now into the straight stocking stitch so it's zooming along and requires no brainpower until I get to the armholes. Once again I'm knitting it in the round on circular needles to the armholes to avoid sewing up, and I'll do the armbands before sewing up the shoulders in order to avoid using DPNs in the round for the armholes. The v-neck will fit nicely on circular needles as well. Hoorah!

Also bought the most recent copy of AU Creative Knitting - there are a few cool patterns in there that I'm adding to the "to-do" list. Particularly the girl's Zhivago cardi with lace edging - I have a stash of ice-blue Zhivago which will be perfect for that.

No comments: